Friday, September 2, 2011

Two accused of key role in Leicester kebab shop explosion

Two people have appeared in court accused of playing key roles in events leading to the explosion which destroyed a kebab shop and killed one of its employees.
Shabaz Khan and Mehwish Yasin, both 24, appeared at Leicester Magistrates' Court yesterday charged with manslaughter.
they are accused of causing the death of Fiaz Ahmed Ansari, whose body was discovered in the rubble of Kams King of the Grill takeaway, in Narborough Road, Leicester, following the blast at 2.20am on Monday.

Neither entered pleas. They were released on conditional bail and are due to appear at Leicester Crown Court in December.

Khan, who worked at the takeaway, and Yasin, a recently qualified teacher who studied in Leicester, were among seven people arrested following the blast.
Prosecutor Mark Williams told the hearing that results of a post-mortem examination indicated Mr Ansari had been near the source of the blast, possibly directly facing it.
He said: "The explosion destroyed not only the takeaway, it also showered debris into the street and at passing traffic. Damage to neighbouring businesses at this stage has been estimated at £42,000.
"Initial forensic examination recovered two petrol canisters outside the premises – one empty and one half-full.
"Police are also examining whether gas was deliberately released.
"The side doors were blasted off their hinges and parts were embedded in the walls of neighbouring businesses."
A man allegedly left the premises wearing some sort of face covering and carrying a holdall, which was recovered nearby and contained two petrol cannisters.
It is alleged that four petrol cannisters were taken to the premises as part of an attempt to set fire to it.
Mr Khan was bailed to live at his family home in Stuart Road, Harrow, Middlesex, while Miss Yasin, who had been living in Cranmer Street, West End, Leicester, must stay with her family in Plaistow Avenue, Birmingham.
Police confirmed three women and a man have been released by police and will face no action. A 28-year-old man remains in custody.
Yesterday, an inquest was opened for identification purposes into the death of Mr Ansari and adjourned to a date to be decided.

No comments:

Post a Comment