Thursday, April 28, 2011

Grandfather beaten to the ground by youths as he walked home in Leicester

A grandfather was beaten to the ground by a group of young men who had asked him for a cigarette.

Tom Carnegie, 74, was attacked by four or five men in Belgrave, Leicester, on Good Friday as he walked home from visiting his son.

Recovering at home yesterday, the retired hosiery worker and merchant seaman said: "I don't know why they did it. This is not the world I grew up in.

"It was a lovely evening and I'd been to see my son and his girlfriend.

"I left them, as I always do, at about 11pm. Everything seemed fine.

"On the way home, I saw this group and just assumed they were locals. They asked me for a cigarette and I said, 'of course', because I'm a bit of a softie.

"I don't really remember what happened next, but they just started hitting me.

"I tried to cover my face and head with my arms, but they got some blows in. I've got bruises all over.

"While I was down they went into my pocket and took my cigarette case and my wallet.

"I had £40 or £50 in it because I'd got my pension the day before."

Police have branded the attack, in Payne Street, off Checketts Road, as "callous".

They have urged the public to help them catch the gang.

"Hopefully, they will be caught before they do this to someone else," said Mr Carnegie, a Londoner who moved to Leicester about 20 years ago.

"I will get over this," he said. "I've got a good family around me and a lot of good friends. The wounds are healing, although I'm still a bit stiff."

an elderly Asian couple found Mr Carnegie in the street and helped him home.

Officers want to trace them as they believe they may be able to help identify his attackers.

John Boyce, of Age Concern in Leicester, said: "While crimes like this are rare, if they become more common we would be diminished as a society. The biggest concern in cases like this is that the victim can lose all confidence and ability to go out again."

The attackers were Asian, aged about 20 and all about 5ft 10in. They were all wearing black.

Detective Constable Sarah Poppleton said: "This was a nasty attack on an elderly man who was minding his own business. The people who have committed this callous crime need to be caught and we would appeal to the public to help us identify those responsible."

Anyone with information is asked to call Det Con Poppleton on 0116 222 2222, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111

First I want to note the irritating, obfuscating and bordering on pathological use of the term "Asian" - by British newspapers in lieu of the more accurate muslim.Honest journalism has succumbed to dhimmitude and political correctness. I wondered - Do muslims refer to themselves as "Asian"? So I thought I'd check a few muslim online publications to see what people they consider to be "Asian":Al Arabya News Channel - Gulf Daily News - The Voice of Bahrain - Kuwait Arab Times -Crime - The Muslim News

In reviewing the above searches you will find that the vast majority - if not 100% - use the word 'Asian' in regards to China, Japan, Malaysia, etc.
The same countries and people that we all think of when reading the word 'Asian'. So clearly muslims do not refer to themselves as 'Asian'.
Isn't it time that British newspapers stop treating their readers like a bunch of dopes?

No comments:

Post a Comment